Can’t decide between a cake or pie? I have the answer: A Pecan PieCake.
One of our most popular cupcake flavors throughout the year at Jenny Cookies Bake Shop is our Pecan PieCake. Our customers look forward to it every fall! Today I’m sharing a simplified version using a doctored cake mix and a few shortcuts so you’ll have time to make your own Pecan PieCakes this holiday season!
These PieCakes are very rich and indulgent. If you’re a sweet tooth like me, you’re going to love them! A pumpkin spice cupcake hollowed out and filled with Karo™ Syrup’s famous Pecan Pie filling, topped with caramel buttercream and a decorative pie chip. They’re to die for!
Pecan Pie Cakes
Pumpkin Spice Cupcake
- 1 Box spice cake mix
- 1 Can (15 oz) pumpkin
- 3 Eggs
Pecan Pie Filling
- 1 Cup Karo™ Light OR Dark Corn Syrup
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1.5 Cups pecans, plus 1/2 cup for cupcake decoration
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Lb confectioner's sugar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3 Tbsp Whole Milk
- 6 Tbsp Caramel Sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 9" Pie Crust (homemade or store bought)
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, spice cake mix and pumpkin until well blended. Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Pecan Pie Filling:
- Mix Karo™ syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon. Stir in pecans. Pour filling into an oven safe dish prepped with baking spray. Bake for about 10 minutes, then stir and bake for another 10 minutes or just as the edges start to brown. (If it's baked too long it'll be very sticky and hard to work with)
- Combine the butter and confectioners sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix on low speed at first, then increase the speed until combined. Add in heavy cream and vanilla. Mix on medium speed about 2 minutes or until light and creamy. Stir in the caramel. If not using immediately, store in a container in the refrigerator up to 7 days.
- Roll pie crust onto floured surface. Using miniature cutters or pie plungers, cut a variety of shape to top your PieCakes. Bake on 425 for 7-9 minutes.
- Once cupcakes have cooled completely, use a paring knife to extract some of the cupcake to make room for the Karo Syrup Pecan Pie filling!
- Fill a disposable decorating bag with pecan pie filling and snip tip. Squeeze a dollop of pecan pie filling into each cupcake cavity.
- Tuck tops of the cupcake back into place to hide the pecan pie filling.
- Fill a disposable decorating bag fitted with a 1M tip with caramel buttercream. Starting at the outer edge of the cupcake, begin drawing a layer of buttercream around the circumference and building vertical layers until you reach the top, working your way into the center.
- Sprinkle the tops of the cupcakes with remaining pecans for extra decor. Top with a couple of pie chips.
- Now go for it, take a bite. You'll be so glad you did.