No-fail, simple to decorate sugar cookies, perfect for any holiday gathering!
As with any holiday, sugar cookies are always a staple in my house. Since the Thanksgiving meal prep is quite extensive, I like to keep Thanksgiving treats fairly simple. Alongside our classic Pecan Pie, there has to be a sugar cookie! I love to use a Karo™ Syrup based glaze to quickly decorate several cookies to save time. In addition, the Karo™ adds just the right of sweetness to a heavy day of eating! These cookies are soft in texture and light in flavor with a hint of almond!
The dipped cookies are gorgeous dipped in a white glaze alone, or you can draw on details with a thicker buttercream.
I added the simplest details to the glazed cookies using brown icing. A white buttercream outline would look really beautiful as well!
Allow cookies to crust about 6 to 8 hours before stacking on a tray or cake plate. You’ll want to me sure to let them crust over before packaging them as well.
In addition to these festive cookies, I’ll be sharing my Pecan PieCake and a classic Pecan Pie recipe for the holidays, all made with Karo™ Syrup! Just like people come together for the holidays, baking ingredients come together with Karo™ to create delicious recipes! With every bottle of Karo™, you’re creating memories and traditions!
Pin this idea for later!
Photos by Kelly Clare
Dipped Sugar Cookies
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Butter, Softened
- 1 Egg
- 2 1/4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Karo™ Light Corn Syrup
- 1/2 tsp Almond Extract
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 Cup Brown Buttercream Icing
- Cream sugar and butter with electric mixer; add egg. Beat in flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla. Form into two disc shapes, wrapped in plastic wrap. Chill 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll one portion of dough to 1/4-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Cut with cookie cutters and place on ungreased cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool 1 to 2 minutes on baking sheet and then transfer to cooling rack. Ice and decorate as desired.
- Combine powdered sugar, Karo™ syrup, almond extract and enough milk for desired spreading or dipping consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.
- Allow extra glaze to drip off the cookie, then carefully place it on a cooling rack to dry. The cookie glaze will crust over after about 30 minutes. If you'd like to add sprinkles to the cookies, be sure to add them while the icing is still tacky.