Spring has arrived and Easter is just around the corner! Celebrate the season with these coconut topped chocolaty brownies from my book Eat More Dessert.
makes 30 brownies
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1 box family size brownie mix (make sure to account for the ingredients listed on the box)
1/2 batch buttercream frosting (recipe below)
You will need:
2 mini cupcake pans
disposable pastry bag
1. To toast the coconut, spread on a microwave safe plate. Microwave in 30 second increments at 40% power, stirring gently each time until the coconut is as brown as you’d like. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray the mini cupcake pans with cooking spray.
3. Make the brownie batter according to the directions on the package. Place equal amounts of brownie batter into thirty of the prepared cupcake cavities, about 1 tablespoon each.
4. Place the pans in the preheated oven and bake for 15-17 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Let cool completely.
5. Place the buttercream frosting in the pastry bag and cut off a small hole at the tip. Squirt a small amount (about 1 tablespoon) of the buttercream in the center of each brownie (or spead the buttercream with a knife). Dip the brownie upside down in the plate of coconut, making sure plenty of it adheres to the frosting. Decorate by placing two to three colored jelly beans in the center of each nest.
makes about 6 cups
1 cup Imperial Margerine or butter (2 sticks)
1 cup crisco vegetable shortening
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 7 1/2 cups)
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 tablespoons whole milk
1. Combine the margerine and Crisco in the bowl of an electric mixer; using a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and continue beating on low speed for an additional two minutes, or until the mixture is creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the remaining powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until the frosting is creamy and fluffy, about two minutes more.
3. Use immediately or store in an airtight container refrigerated for up to 30 days.
You can find over 100 simple-to-make and fun-to-eat baked goods for all seasons in my book HERE!