Treat your little leprechauns to a rainbow covered cupcake this St Paddy’s Day! These cupcakes are simple to make using my doctored cake mix cupcake recipe topped with delicious buttercream icing. Draw a rainbow at the top and finish with a pot of edible gold candy! (Find my favorite gold sprinkles HERE)
- 1 box Duncan Hines Devils Food Cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1 cup water 1 3.4 oz box chocolate jell-o pudding
- 1 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbls milk
Pots of Gold
- rolo candies
- Wilton gold sprinkles
Cupcake Baking Directions:
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line the cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- 2. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes or until well blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- 3. Using a cookie scoop, fill each paper liner with batter to fill the liner about two-thirds full, dividing evenly between cupcake trays.
- 4. Bake the cupcakes for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, or tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place the trays on wire cooling racks for 5 minutes. Take the cupcakes out of the trays and allow them to cool completely on the wire racks before decorating.
- 1. Combine the margarine/butter and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer; using a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 2. Add half of the confectioners’ sugar and continue beating on low speed for an additional 2 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the remaining confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until the frosting is creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes more.
- 3. In a separate bowl, divide icing in thirds. Color one whole bowl a sky blue. 1/3 icing to make rainbow colors and leave last 1/3 of the bowl white.
Cupcake Decorating Directions:
- 1. Using a decorating bag fitted with a large round tip filled with blue icing, pipe circle onto cupcake starting from the outer edge working your way into the middle, carefully covering the entire surface of the cupcake.
- 2. Using a decorating bag fitted with a star tip.Using the previously colored rainbow icings, use a knife to drag each color up the side of your pastry bag. Fill the center of your bag with white icing. Twist the bag closed. Pipe the frosting in a circular motion around the top of the cupcakes making a rainbow arch.
- 3. Using a decorating bag fitted with a large round tip filled with white icing, pipe circle "clouds" at one end of the rainbow.
- Using unwrapped rolo candies, pipe small dot of icing onto top of rolo. Dip rolo in gold sanding sugar to create miniature pots of gold.
- 4. Place one pot of gold candy at the end of each rainbow.
Photos by Kelly Clare Photography