Graduation is the perfect excuse to host a special brunch for your grad!
My assistant Hailey recently graduated from University of Washington with a business degree. Over the past couple of years, Hailey has interned with Jenny Cookies and has been a large help in our growth. She has been responsible for numerous tasks and operations from parties and workshops to the opening of Jenny Cookies Bake Shop. We are so proud of this huge accomplishment!
We kept the food and drinks fairly simple with scones, fresh fruit, donuts, yogurt parfaits and mimosas…because, dessert. Our cake mimicked the invite design with a touch of buttercream succulents.
After brunch we made terrariums! They’re simple to make with a few basic supplies:
To make a terrarium, follow these simple steps:
- Fill your container with a layer of gravel or small rocks. The rocks are for drainage purposes only. Essentially a place for excess water to go if you should happen to over water your terrarium.
2. Add a spoonful of charcoal to the rocks. The charcoal will help eliminate any bacteria in your terrarium.
3. Add dirt! Cactus soil is best for growing succulents and cacti.
4. Plant cactus and succulents inside the terrarium. Take into account the size of your globe or vessel and the size of your plant. You’ll want to consider how much room it will be able to grow. If you choose small plants, you may be able to plant multiple. If you choose a large plant, it’s wise to stick with one so it has room to expand.
5. Once the succulents are buried in the dirt, add decorative moss, rocks and sand to your terrarium to add character.
6. Once your terrarium is complete, spritz the plants with a few squirts of water. Store plant in a sunlit spot and water every 7-14 days.
After terrarium making we enjoyed cookies and cake!
We sent guests home with personalized Minted notebooks tied in twine with a sprig of greenery and their own terrariums!
To plan your own grad brunch with terrarium making, head to Minted.com for your invites and grad announcements. They have the best assortment of unique stationary designed by independent artists you won’t find anywhere else!
Pin this idea for later!
Photography by Kelly Clare