Baking and Assembling the Mini Cakes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 9×13 pans with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well blended. Scrape sides of the bowl and mix again until all the ingredients are incorporated.
3. Pour 1/2 the batter inside each of the prepared pans.
4. Bake cakes for 15-17 minutes each, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove pans from the oven and place on wire cooling racks for 25-30 minutes to cool. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes, flip the pans over and gently extract the cakes. Let cool completely before decorating.
6. Make buttercream frosting while waiting for cakes to cool.
7. Color frosting in shades of your choice. Fill each decorating bag with icing, fitted with the variety of spring flower decorating tips
8. After cakes have cooled, using circle cookie cutter cut circles from each cake.
9. Using the filled decorating bag fitted with a Wilton 2A tip, ice the tops of 6 cake circles.
10. As each circle is covered in icing, top with a cake circle. Repeat until you have stacked two cake circles on each. Top each stacked cake with icing.
11. Decorate tops of cakes with fresh berries, flowers and sprinkles.
1. Combine the margarine and Crisco in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and mix on low speed about 2 minutes or until mixture is creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add remaining powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until frosting is creamy and fluffy about 2 minutes.